Sunday, October 29, 2023

Blog #1 - News Sources

In an ever-changing world, I believe it's important to stay as familiar with current events as possible. However, I sometimes feel that constantly viewing news stories can be somewhat depressing because of their usual nature. Currently, I do not spend time watching the news. In order to keep my morale high, I use a few different news sources that allow me to quickly stay updated and informed. 

1. Associated Press: I have the Associated Press app on my iPhone, which means I get notifications about news stories. I believe this is a really simple way to stay informed because I subconsciously read the updates while scrolling on my phone. I like using the app because I am in control of how much news I consume. I can block notifications if I need a break, or I can jump on the app and scroll through hundreds of news stories. My favorite part is the app lets you search news by category, which is super helpful when I am looking for something specific. I recommend downloading this app because of its simplicity and easy accessibility! 

2. Word-of-mouth communication: I find that one of the most frequent ways I gain knowledge about current news is simply by hearing people talk about it. Whether it be my parents, friends, or professors, I have a lot of people to listen to! Most of the time I will take the information for what it is and go to another news source to find more information and make my own judgments. This is a great way for anyone to build conversation and learn new things. 


3. WKYTIn middle school I attended a conference called KYA (Kentucky Youth Association) where I participated in mock government, creating and passing laws for Kentucky. Participating in this conference helped me understand the importance of showing interest in the condition of my state, Kentucky. I read WKYT, the famous Kentucky news channel to stay updated while I'm away at school. Not only does this help me understand what's going on in my state, it allows me to stay connected to my family! If you are away from your home state, I highly recommend staying connected by frequently reading one of your state's news sources.

4. TikTok: Although I am not proud to admit it, TikTok is definitely my main source of my news consumption. Because I spend a lot of time on the app I am exposed to the news that is shared on it. I know it is not the most reliable source, however, there are some reliable sources that have accounts and posts. I follow a few of these and whenever I see a news story I make sure it's from a reliable source. If you are a TikTok user, I encourage you to follow reliable news source accounts to stay up to date on recent events. 

5. BFF's: My final news source is the BFF's podcast with Josh Richards, Dave Portnoy, and Brianna Chickenfry. It sounds very silly and unprofessional because it is, which is why I enjoy learning news updates about the entertainment industry from this podcast. It is light-hearted and casual and provides a break from the seriousness of the world. I love keeping up with my favorite influencers and singers, and this is the easiest way for me to do that. I highly recommend this podcast to anyone looking for a humorous escape from the real world.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post - Relationship with Technology

 Our Relationship with Technology When I reflect on technology and its relationship with our world today, my biggest concern is children.  A...