Thursday, December 7, 2023

Blog #10 - AI

Living in the age of AI   

 After watching the video regarding AI in class, I realized how unaware I was of the capabilities of artificial intelligence. One of the things that stood out to me the most was that in the next 15 years, hundreds of jobs will be at risk because of AI. This is definitely a huge takeaway because it puts our futures at risk. As an undergrad communications student, I am currently pursuing a career that could one day be overtaken by artificial intelligence. Already I've noticed the difference AI is making on my life, and I noticed this in the video as well. AI is included in ring doorbells, writing movies, and completing honorable work in school. High Point University has already had to adjust to artificial intelligence when it comes to school work. If AI is used without permission, students are reprimanded. 

    Before watching this video I knew AI was listening to us, but I didn't know the extent of it. The video said "Our behavior is what gives AI the ability to predict our future behavior. In my personal life, I know of one device that is definitely listening to me- my Alexa Echo Dot. It is crazy that a small device can hear everything I say to my friends, to my mom on the phone, to the music I listen to, and more. To be honest, it feels very invasive because it is. The scarier thing is I have no idea what is being done with this information.


 The video also mentioned that AI can detect a lot about of depending on voice features. These robots are trained to detect changes over time in our voices and determine more about us in real time. These robots can tell when we are sick if we have a stuffy voice, if we're going through a manic episode, or depressed. As time goes on, AI is going to know every single thing about us and it's currently happening right in front of our eyes. We allow it into our houses, jobs, and even our cars. 

    One person in the video compared the presence of AI in our lives as "artificial intelligence is one type of intelligence beating the other". Not only are computer-related jobs being overtaken, but also
jobs in industries ranging from healthcare to agriculture are opportunities for AI to take over. Most of the time we think about robots taking over computer science jobs, but they are also harvesting crops. This affects my life personally because I am from Kentucky and most of my family is farmers. It's crazy to think about the impact AI is making on our lives today and how we are competing to keep our spot in many areas of our lives such as human interaction and jobs. It will be interesting to see how much of our lives will change as AI continues to replace us.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post - Relationship with Technology

 Our Relationship with Technology When I reflect on technology and its relationship with our world today, my biggest concern is children.  A...